
Yay! Brandon, our little man, has slept 5-6 hrs. straight for the last several nights. Hopefully, this means an end to sleep deprivation. Brian and I have been super tired getting up every1-3 hours. We thought sleep was a thing of the past, but Brandon has proved us wrong. We can have two children AND sleep. I'm praying that this newly found sleep lasts. It allows me to do all kinds of things I had put aside (blogging, for one).
One big news item in our family is my acceptance to the doctoral program at Southern Methodist University. I'm hoping to pursue my doctorate in Education while being a mom, but I'm not sure how everything will work. I'll soon find out the hours and determine whether the program is possible. I love teaching very much and I have always dreamed of earning my doctorate. However, being a good mom to my son and daughter is so much more important. Although I never saw myself as a stay-at-home mom, I am adoring this role. Spending time with Brandon and Catie is amazing, challenging and very satisfying.
Catie has been talking up a storm. My little baby can express herself in more than 100 words. She lets me know her needs and preferences on a daily basis. Last weekend, I asked her to put the dog bowl back for the doggies. She looked me in the eye, glanced and the bowl, shaped her lips into an "O" shape and said, "Noooo," in the sweetest voice. How do you not smile!
Catie has also learned the words for all the foods she likes. Thus, we have had several screaming fits when "marmees" aren't available (marshmallows) or when Mom can't fill a sippee cup with milk (meeya) fast enough. Catie is saying important names, as well. She can name her family members and her close friends. At her playgroups, she shouts "Paw" for her friend "Paul." Catie gives lots of smiles and hugs. She also loves to say, "Hiiiii" and "Byeee-Byeee" as often as possible.
I try to tell my precious little girl how wonderful she is every day. I tell her she is smart, loving, beautiful and strong. By hearing these words daily, I hope Catie will build her own self-confidence. I come up with examples of how she shows these traits each day. I might say, "Catie, you are strong because you got up after lots of falls today. That's showing lots of perseverance! You are intelligent because you said two new words- T.V. and puffs. You are loving because you wanted to sit in my lap at playgroup and you are beautiful because you are you."
Brandon is my little man. He is growing up way too fast. He's moved out of the newborn phase and he's becoming a chubby little infant. At fifteen pounds, he sits up, rolls over, giggles, smiles and let's me know what he wants. Over the past several days, Brandon has been fussing less and laughing more. Please, please, please, let it stay this way. I feel like a much better mom when my baby isn't fussing so much.
Brandon loves being held and carried just like his sister did. He prefers not to be restrained in the car seat. He lets me know this by flipping his lower lip into a frown and wailing. He also loves riding in the car---as long as it's moving. The minute the car stops, he cries. It's really odd. I think the people at the Starbucks drive-thru think I have a child who never stops screaming. Whenever the car stops for me to grab my coffee, Brandon howls. I try to gently brake without stopping the car, so he remains content.
On my end, I have been trying to work out daily (I can run up to 6.6 miles) and stay sane by hanging out with all of my Mommy friends. Brian has completed his intern year, so all of his work centers around Radiology from here on out. Only 4-5 more years of this doctor stuff! We can do this!!! Not quite sure how, but we can!!! I think I may be trying to convince myself that this is true. I had no idea how time consuming this whole "doctor" endeavor would be when we started it up over five years ago. Yikes!
All in all, I can't complain. Our family is healthy and happy. I am blessed with amazing experiences every day and I never feel bored. I still believe Phil Vassar's "Just Another Day in Paradise" is the theme song of my life. When Catie and Brandon were having simultaneous meltdowns this morning and the pups were howling in the backyard, I picked up my iPhone and played the song just to keep myself sane:)
P.S. We are STILL attempting to get a great picture of both babies at once. Some attempts...













No comments:
Post a Comment