-
June 1st
marks a very special day in our home.
After 56 long days in the hospital NICU, Cardiac ICU and Cardiac
Recovery Floor, Ethan Robert Cox comes home.
At barely two months old, Ethan has undergone open-heart surgery and
showed the perseverance of a soul much older than his days. Ethan returns home with a nasogastric feeding
tube, medication for reflux and a nebulizer for breathing treatments. Brian and
I feel thrilled that our family of six will finally be together. I learn how to meet all of Ethan’s medical
needs while trying to care for my other three kiddoes. This proves to be a bit challenging at times.
 |
| Ethan and Brian waiting to leave the hospital on June 1st. |
 |
| Brian and Ethan getting in our truck! |
 |
| Ethan's bedside set-up, complete with feeding tube, nebulizer and lots of wires. |
-
Grandma Judy
visits for a week to help me adjust to taking care of four children. We take trips to McDonalds and visit Starbucks
for much needed caffeine. We enjoy
nightly neighborhood walks, as well.
Connor spends most of his time riding around in the Bjorn with Grandma.
 |
| Grandma Judy and Connor |
 |
| First outing with all four kids. Thank goodness Grandma Judy is here to help us. |
-
Connor and Ethan
turn two months old on June 6, 2012.
Trying to photograph the two of them proves to be a bit more challenging
than I thought.
 |
| Ethan and Connor at the pediatrician for the two month check up. |
 |
| Twin time. |
 |
| Connor has HAD IT. |
 |
| Ethan and Mama |
 |
| Ethan is two months old! |
 |
| A quick wardrobe change. |
 |
| Connor is two months old! |
-
-
Brian completes
his night float rotation. This rotation involves
working while the rest of the family dozes (or in my case, tries to doze). It also involves trying to sleep while a
house full of children is wide-awake.
Brian really takes one for the team as he works through his two weeks of
nights. Our family is so lucky to have a
Daddy who works so very hard.
 |
| Daddy dozes with Connor and Ethan. |
 |
Trying to capture all four.
 |
| Double trouble and Super Dad |
|
-
On June 12th,
I welcome the ripe old age of 33. I have
a tasty lunch with my parents and my four babies. A week later, I celebrate my birthday with my
two amazing friends, Jamie and Kristin.
Brian gives me a beautiful necklace engraved with the names of all
family members. Life is good!
 |
| Birthday lunch with my Mom, my Dad and my four babies. |
 |
| Celebrating 33rd birthday with Jamie and Kristin. |
 |
The necklace Brian has made with all the children's names and birthstones
|
-
Our family takes
our very first trip as a family of six.
We drive to Austin and have a wonderful summer break with Grandpa Bob
and Grandma Judy. Catie and Brandon swim
in the pool and have fun in the sun.
Connor and Ethan ride in Bjorns and enjoy their very first trip to
Austin. Brian and I enjoy our first date
night in many months and we each steal a few hours for ourselves. Brian sees a movie and I get a pedicure. It’s amazing to have a few hours on our own.
 |
| Catie and Brandon are ready to leave for Austin |
 |
| All those bags |
 |
| That little space? |
 |
| Mommy gets ready to load Connor and Ethan into car seats |
 |
| The twins are ready to go! |
 |
| Catie and Brandon enjoy McDonalds on the way to Austin, |
 |
| Brandon takes a swim break to gobble up an ice cream sandwich |
 |
| Catie gobbles up her ice cream sandwich, too |
 |
| Brian carries Ethan in the Bjorn |
 |
| A Starbucks visit |
 |
| Grandma does a super quick diaper change on Connor |
 |
| Brandon wants more milk and decides to take matters into his own hands |
 |
| Grandma Judy, Cate and Brandon at Madagascar 3 |
 |
| Ethan doing his own breathing treatment |
 |
| Catie and Brandon in a tub (the same on Grandma and Daddy played in when they were little) |
 |
| Catie tastes Amy's Ice Cream |
 |
| Catie and Brandon riding home from Amy's |
 |
| Grandma holds Ethan while Grandma holds Connor |
 |
| Grandma and Connor |
 |
| Brandon plays poolside |
 |
| Mommy sipping wine and holding Ethan's bottle |
 |
| Catie in the pool |
 |
| Catie and Daddy |
 |
| Catie floats with Grandpa |
 |
| Grandpa and Brandon take it easy |
 |
| Grandpa and Catie enjoy tea |
 |
| Connor and Ethan |
-
Catie is a
wonderful big sister to her baby brothers.
She pats them gently, holds them in her lap (with help), gets them
diapers, holds bottles and helps in anyway she can. Catie also experiences frustration as she
accepts all of the transitions and stressors that have been tossed at our
family. She chooses to use pull-ups,
dresses like a little boy, throws some serious t temper tantrums and gives Brian
and I a run for our money. Catie no
longer wants to leave our house for outing sand it becomes quite a struggle to
get her into the car. I feel beyond tested as a mommy and I have to try some
creative strategies to show love and set reasonable boundaries with three-year-old
behavior. In my heart, I know that all
of Catie’s behavior is a normal three-year-old reaction to stress. By the end of June, Catie even decides to
accompany me on some mommy-daughter ice cream dates.
 |
Catie holding Connor
|
 |
| Catie fills her shopping cart with her entire closet of clothes. |
 |
| Catie on an ice cream Mommy-Daughter date. |
-
While Brandon is
not very interested in his new brothers, he tolerates our life’s current chaos
like a champ. He plays with his cars and
trucks independently. He especially
enjoys driving his plastic mixer, tractor and dump truck through the flowerbeds
in our backyard. Brandon gives lots of
hugs and says, “I love you” multiple times a day. His love of life shines in his daily smiles
and he has a positive attitude about leaving the house. His typical response when asked if he would
like to go somewhere is a serious and committed, “Yes I do.” He does have his
share of two-year-old tantrums, usually right before and after naptime.
 |
| Brandon wears his sister's princess heels. |
 |
| Brandon on a McDonalds lunch date with Mom, |
 |
| Brandon in the dirt with his trucks. |
-
Little Connor
spends his month eating and snoozing. He
is content hanging out with Ethan. He
grabs Ethan’s hands and feeding tube when they spend time next to each
other. He smiles more and more. Connor is also growing larger and larger,
especially around his belly. Catie likes
to say, “Wow, he has a BIG belly.”
Anytime Grandma Judy is around, Connor spends all of his time riding
around in the Bjorn with her. He seems
very pleased by this arrangement. Connor
acts like a pretty laid back little man who accepts all the cuddle time he can
get.
 |
| Connor dozing in his Rock n Play. |
 |
| Connor wrapped in his elephant towel. |
-
Sweet Ethan
adapts readily to life in our family. He
tolerates daily breathing treatments and multiple changes of his feeding
tube. I had hoped his feeding tube would
remain in place for the entire month, but it came out many times. Brian placed the tube several times and so
did I. I didn’t want to, but I did what
I had to do. Little Ethan is quite a
trooper and doesn’t fuss when the tube is placed. He has been working on taking formula by
mouth and has made quite a bit of progress.
I’m hoping his tube can come out soon.
Ethan has several doctor’s appointments and nurse visits. He returns to Children’s Hospital for a
follow-up bronchoscopy. The bronch shows
that his right airway continues to heal well.
Brian and I couldn’t ask for moreJ
 |
| Ethan chillin' in his Rock n Play |
 |
| Ethan in his froggy towel. |
 |
| Two happy guys |
 |
| Ethan and Connor just hanging out |
-
Overall, I spend
most of June feeling like I’m well on my way to becoming a white-haired
snaggle-toothed old lady at the age of 33.
While I cherish my time with all four of my darlings, I rarely feel like
I am doing enough for any of my children.
I feel like my time is spent trying to juggle the needs of four little
ones while running on little sleep. When
Brian is working nights, I learn just how little sleep I need to function. Turns out, three hours of uninterrupted sleep
can get me through the day. I learn how
to put both Connor and Ethan in Bjorns at the same time.
For Father’s Day, Catie and I make an apple pie while Ethan and Connor
both ride on me in Bjorns. I make more
formula than I ever imagined making. I change more diapers than I ever imagined
changing. While I have very little time to myself this month, I do learn that I
can be very strong and survive when life gets toughJ
 |
| Mom and her sweet boys |
 |
| Double Bjorn- surefire way to keep both babies content. |
|
|
Daddy was at work and all four babies were awake at 11PM. Hmmm.
|
|
|
Catie (in my flip flops) and Brandon giving a wild hug
|
|
|
Connor resting in bouncer while Ethan swings
|
Great update! I especially love the picture of you holding wine and Ethan's bottle :)
ReplyDelete